Thursday 14 April 2016

Heron nesting amongst the reeds – a nature lesson for me



Distant heron standing in the reed bed
Last year I was watching a distant heron in the reeds on the other side of a lagoon in the wild part of Barnes Wetland Centre.

Heron and Coot on nests, with water-skiing Mallard
I knew that a nearby coot was on a nest but, only when I downloaded my photographs onto the computer, did I realise that the heron was standing on it’s own nest.   I was really surprised to discover this as I thought that herons only nested at the top of trees.  While I was watching, a mallard was having a water-skiing session along the water in front of it.
img_0235-1
Heron standing on nest in the reeds
Heron on nest in the reeds
Heron tending to it's nest in the reed bed
Heron on water-based nest, plus reflection 
That day I learnt that herons do, sometimes, nest on the ground or, in this case, it looks as though it is nesting in the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment