Wednesday 27 April 2016

Great Cresed Grebes courting in Lee Valley Country Park

On a recent cold day I went for a walk in Lee Valley Country Park with a group from the RSPB.  Our last port of call was the Grebe Hide, where we were treated to a great courting display.  Unfortunately, the Great Crested Grebes were quite far away and, even with my lens at longest zoom, these photos are the best I could manage.
At first there were actually 3 Great Crested Grebes, but one of the males soon got rid of his rival.  This happened too far away for me to get any photos at all, but I could see the aggression through my binoculars.
Then the chase got going:
Grebes apart
Male and female Great Crested Grebes
Mr and Ms eventually got closer together:
Grebes
Great Crested Grebes
and then closer:

No comments:

Post a Comment