Friday 24 June 2016

Hooded Merganser in St. James's Park

In the early part of June, during one of my favourite walks in London's St. James's Park, I was thrilled to see a male Hooded Merganser.  At first he was preening his feathers.

Preening Hooded Merganser
Then he sat up and was looking intently at me as I was wobbling in a crouching position while trying to take photos of him.  I am no longer very athletic, nor ever was actually, and crouching is a dangerous thing for me to do.  I have read that photographers are supposed to get down low, even lying on the ground, in order to take good photos of birds - but I will never be able to do the lying-down thing!  Crouching is all I can manage and it is hard work standing back up again.

Hooded Merganser behind the greenery
Anyway, I was very pleased to see this rather unusual waterbird in the park.  I don't know if he was a wild bird or had escaped from a wildfowl collection as that is where I have seen Hooded Mergansers before - in the captive collections in Regents Park and the Barnes Wetland Centre.

Close-up of male Hooded Merganser
He has an amazingly weird shaped crested head, lovely black-and-white wing feathers and piercing yellow eyes.  What a magnificent looking bird!

2 comments:

  1. There's another one in the park today. Lovely bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a male and female Hooded Merganser in St. James's Park a few times since this visit. I think that they must have a wildfowl collection there, as they do in Regent's Park, as there seem to be quite a few unusual birds on the lake as well all the common ones such as Mallards and Coots. It's great to see them at reasonably close quarters anyway.

      Delete