Wednesday 22 June 2016

Heron's yoga pose

There are usually lots of Herons in Regents Park, which has a large Heronry in the trees.  Earlier in the year, young Herons could be seen high up in the large nests.  Now they have mainly fledged.

During my walk through the park yesterday, I only saw a small handful of Herons.  This one was standing at the edge of the water and looking pretty normal.  It had a stare at me as I was taking it's photograph.

Heron giving me the eye
Then it went back to staring along the water and looking attractive under the dangling leaves of the tree under which it was standing.
Heron standing under dangling leaves at the water's edge
Now it was time for some exercises - stretching the left wing out.
Heron with extended left wing
Then it went into a very strange yoga pose - I don't know what it was trying to do here.  Stretching it's neck muscles, I guess?
Heron in strange yoga pose 
Time to stretch out the right wing now.
Heron with extended right wing
Who said it was doing strange yoga poses?  It was just stretching before preening it's feathers.  Just look at those lovely fluffy white feathers on it's tummy!
Heron in preening mode
I have never seen a Heron doing yoga before and I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment