Sunday 29 May 2016

Great Crested Grebe and chick

Today I went to Battersea Park and, at first, I thought there was nothing of interest around as the lake seemed strangely devoid of wildlife.  In the distance I spotted what I believed to be a Great Crested Grebe that seemed to be floating in the middle of the lake with something else.  I couldn't tell what the "something else" was until I downloaded my photographs onto the computer.  It was a chick!  Apologies for the standard of the photos - but they were a long way away.

Great Crested Grebe and chick
I was so happy to see that it was a young Great Crested Grebe as that was what I was hoping to see.

Chick with striped head and Great Crested Grebe
If I had known for sure that it was mum and youngster I would have stayed longer, hoping that they would float nearer to me.

Great Crested Grebe and youngster
 I am so excited - it is the first time I have seen a Great Crested Grebe chick for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment