Monday 23 May 2016

Water bird identified - Mandarin losing his fine plumage

I was in Kensington Gardens yesterday and saw this beautiful water bird standing on top of a post.  I am relatively new to birding and had not seen one like this before.

Mandarin drake starting to go into eclipse plumage
I asked if anyone could identify it and, thankfully, Ralph from the Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park blog has told me that it is a Mandarin drake that is beginning to lose his fine feathers and going into winter mode.  I am very grateful for the information.

The Mandarin was having a bad hair day.
Mandarin drake with ruffled head feathers
He needed to have a good brush-up and was shaking his head quite violently as he worked hard on his feathers.
Mandarin drake in preening mode
He spent time preening all over his body.
Mandarin drake preening his tummy
I watched him for ages.
Mandarin drake preening back feathers
He has gorgeous feathers.  What a beautiful bird!

2 comments:

  1. It's a Mandarin drake beginning to lose his fine breeding plumage and going into eclipse. Later he will look much like a female, and this will last till late winter when his ornamental feathers grow again. Immature Mandarin drakes also have less impressive plumage, but I think this is one that was in full finery and has begun to shed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ralph. I was beginning to think that it was similar to a Mandarin, but have only ever seen them in immaculate condition before. It got me very confused. Regards, TwistedClassics

      Delete