Tuesday 22 January 2019

Bird walk in Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens - mid January - Part 2

As I continued my walk along the edge of the Serpentine in Hyde Park last Friday, I decided to take some photographs of gulls - to see if I could identify them later.  I believe that this is a Yellow-legged gull, but hard to tell without being able to see it's legs.  If I am wrong, please would someone let me know?


I think that this one is a Lesser Black-backed gull.  Again, it would be great if someone could confirm this or, if not, please let me know what brand of gull it is.

I know that this is a Black-headed gull - one of the few on the lake with the dark head colouring.

I went to look at what was happening bird-wise at the Diana Fountain and discovered a Carrion Crow having a bath - not that you would know that it was a crow in this pose!

Two of the crows had a bath while I was watching.  Here, one had just got out of the water and the other was still paddling.  Two of their pals were dining on the grass.

Also on the grass near the fountain were some Starlings.  This one has just pulled a worm out of the ground.  Ugh!!!

There was a short row of Mute swans on the lake just outside the area of the Diana Fountain, with more swans in the distance by the arches of the bridge that divides the Serpentine in Hyde Park and the Long Water in Kensington Gardens. 
,

A Grey Squirrel and  Magpie were side-by-side on the ground not far from the Leaf Yard in Kensington Gardens.

Round the other side of the Long Water I saw several Cormorants preening and drying their wings while standing on a tern raft in the middle of the water.

Back in the Rose Garden, where I began my walk, I came across this blackbird hopping around on the grass.

A Robin was perching on the almost bare branches of a small winter-flowering cherry that was by a hedge in the shrubbery.  This was very near to the bird feeder that is usually covered by Rose-ringed Parakeets.

A Robin, mostly covered by leaves, and a Chaffinch were hopping around on the ground below the bird feeder.  Unfortunately, the Chaffinch is a bit blurred - but it is my first photograph of this bird, so I decided to add it to this post anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment