Monday 8 August 2016

Pretty hybrid Canada/Greylag goose

During one of my recent walks in the park, I came across a couple of geese that were swimming along near the edge of the lake.  One had a very unusual face and I think that it is a cross between a Canada Goose and a Greylag goose.  It's companion is obviously a normal Canada Goose.


The hybrid Canada/Greylag goose has a light-coloured beak, just like a Greylag, but with a dark mark on the end.  It also has pink legs, while a Canada goose has grey legs.  The feathers on it's back and head/neck are much darker than on a Greylag goose.  The photograph below shows a normal Greylag goose - taken in a different park and on a different day - but it shows that there is quite a difference in the colouring.


The hybrid Canada/Greylag stood at the edge of the water for a short while.  It has a white patch on it's face, which is a quite a lot larger than the white marking on the Canada Goose's face.


I watched the goose for quite a while and managed to get some close-up views of the face.


I think that it has got a really lovely face and in this photograph it looks very sweet.


The goose swam around for a while and I enjoyed watching it.


While the Canada/Greylag goose was flapping it's wings, the Canada goose started swimming off into the distance.  It's friend followed it soon afterwards.


I am finding out very interesting things whenever I go out to take photographs of the great wildlife that is available to see in London.  I am a relatively novice birder and am learning more and more about the birds I have managed to photograph during my walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment