Tuesday 9 August 2016

Growth of 9 cygnets

Since I first discovered that a pair of Mute Swans in Battersea Park were bringing up a brood of 9 cygnets, I have been anxious to follow their progress.  I cannot get to the park as often as I would like as there are plenty of other parks, rivers, nature reserves and open spaces that I try to visit too - as well as having to do a lot of other things.  However I walk over there when I can.

My first visit to Battersea Park was on 9th April and the only swan I saw was one that was sitting on a nest in the reeds, far away from the public eye in the middle of the lake.  I presume it was this mum, as on my visits to the park this year, I have not seen any other swans at all.

I first saw the swans and their cygnets on 29th May.  They couldn't have been very old and were very small.


I visited the park again only a few days later on 2nd June and was pleased to see that there were still 9 fluffy baby cygnets.  Fortunately, there don't seem to be any gulls bothering the ducks and swans in this park.


I went to the park again on 19th June and there were 9 large cygnets swimming around with their parents and getting fed bread and other unsuitable food by visitors to the park.


My next visit was on 10th July and just look how large all 9 cygnets are now.  Mum and Dad have been excellent parents, looking after their young and making sure that they are not bothered by humans, dogs or other waterbirds.  I love their tiny fluffy wings - still to grow a lot in order for them to be able to fly.


I went over to the park again today, 9th August and now the cygnets look very grown up.  They have been transformed from tiny fluffy cuties to almost-swans in less than 3 months.  They are still very well-behaved and formed an almost straight line when following mum around the lake - apart from the straggler at the back, that is, who is following dad instead of it's siblings.  I hope that the pigeon is also impressed with their progress!


I think that the parent swans have done a great job of bringing up such a large number of cygnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment