Saturday 30 July 2016

Large young Coots waiting to be fed

About a month ago, during one of my wildlife-spotting walks, I came across some large young Coots standing in the water near a boat house.


They were standing around, waiting for a parent or parents to come back and feed them.  In the below photograph, you can see one of them hopping around and showing off it's rather large foot.


I think that it is amazing how big their feet are but I suppose they have actually got rather large bodies.  This is not so noticeable when they are swimming around in the water.


While I was still watching them, the parents returned.  This chick has just received some food from mum or dad Coot.  It looks as though it is already nearly the same size as the adult.


Here, one of the young Coots is swimming around in the lake and looking quite fluffy and cute - for a change.  Unfortunately, young Coots are not the most attractive bird babies that I have come across.


In the following photograph the young Coot is being offered a morsel of food by a parent Coot and, again, it is looking quite endearing.


No comments:

Post a Comment