The first bird I came across during my walk in St. James's Park was this lovely Bar-headed goose
I found five of the six adult Great White Pelicans gathered together on a small piece of land near the bridge. They were resting at first, then they started to move about.
Across the bridge and further along the park, all four young Pelican chicks were standing together in foliage at the edge of the lake
The chicks eventually were completely hidden in the foliage so I wandered further along the lake where I saw a Black and a Mute Swan swimming along together
The Mute Swan was quickly seen off by another swan and the Black Swan continued alone
An adult Great Crested Grebe was accompanied by a stripey chick
Barnacle goose feeding near the lake
I was sitting on a bench when three Great White Pelicans swam by. I got up and followed them.
The adults were heading towards the chicks, which were waiting at the edge of the lake
One adult landed and the other two swam off towards the nesting island at the end of the lake
A hungry chick was following and squawking at the adult
Two chicks were following the adult
but only one got fed - by sticking its beak down the adult's throat in order to get some regurgitated fish!
After being fed, the chick was chasing the adult as it wanted more food
which it got! Looks as though the adult is eating the chick in these photos!
Peace restored after lunch with all four chicks standing on a log with the adult nearby
Later, there was wing-flapping exercise - though all four chicks have pinioned wings and can't fly
They are most amazing creatures - and only a few months old
All four chicks standing at the edge of the lake, with the adult in the centre
It was time to go home after the feeding session and I saw a Goldeneye and Hooded Merganser - both female - before I left the park
No comments:
Post a Comment