Saturday 13 January 2018

Shoveler ducks on the Round Pond in Kensington Gardens.


On Tuesday, a dull grey damp day, I went on an expedition with my camera to the Round Pond in Kensington Gardens.  I went there in order to try and find a white Egyptian goose that was mooching around with the park's usual suspects.  I did find it and hope to post some photographs at a later date - I took so many that it will take me ages in order to sort them out.

After photographing the geese on the grass, I walked to the pond itself where I found a pair of Northern Shoveler ducks.  These are waterbirds with large spatulate bills, which they use in order to shovel up food found in the water.

The male has a dark green head, white breast and chestnut flanks - just like this drake that conveniently swam over to the edge of the pond where I was standing.

Female Shovelers are mottled brown.  A sleepy female was floating in the water not far away from the drake and hiding her huge bill in her feathers.

The male Shoveler swam over to the edge of the pond and stood there having a lovely scratch with his wonderful orange webbed foot. 

The female Shoveler decided to join him and swiftly swam across the pond.

 The pair stood together at the edge of the pond for a while, in front of a preening Mute Swan and a swimming Black-headed gull.


After a short while they both swam off to the centre of the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment