Monday 15 May 2017

Birds in the Regents Park Waterfowl Collection

At the beginning of March I went for a walk with my camera round the lake in Regents Park.  Actually I did not take many photographs of the usual park birds, but spent some time on the bridge that divides the main lake from the water where the park's Royal Waterfowl Collection of more exotic waterfowl are kept.  These species are normally found in Europe (and at the Barnes Wetland Centre in West London).

I believe the duck in the photograph below is a female Northern Pintail.

This is a Northern Pintail drake.  The photographs had to be taken from the bridge dividing the two areas of the lake, so I had to look down on the birds.  The area where the collection is housed is protected from the public by iron railings and I am not stupid (or fit) enough to climb over them!

After some research by consulting a whole heap of bird guides that I have accumulated over the years, I have discovered that below is a Bufflehead.

In the photo below are male and female Common Goldeneyes.

These are male and female Eurasian Wigeon.

Here are a couple of Red-Billed Teal.

 This is a Shelduck.

On the grass by the side of the lake there was a Pink-Footed Goose.

Nearby were a pair of White-Faced Whistling ducks.

There were also a group of Eider ducks.  In this photo, at the front, is a female and, at the back, is a juvenile.

Here the Eider family are being harassed by the two White-Faced Whistling ducks, while a black-headed gull looks on.

These two female Eider ducks are relaxing in the late afternoon sunshine.

In this photo are the male and juvenile Eiders.  What peculiar faces they both have!

I love walking round the park, but I think it has taken longer to try and figure out the bird brands than it did to walk all round the lake!

No comments:

Post a Comment