Wednesday 21 December 2016

Cormorants and a heron in Hyde Park


On Monday my camera took me for another walk in Hyde Park.  The weather forecast had promised some sunshine in the early afternoon, but this did not materialise - as usual with weather forecasts!  Anyway, it was a fairly nice day, if a little chilly, and I definitely needed my hat and gloves.  I always wear finger-less gloves so that I can still easily use the camera and, fortunately, it was not cold enough to freeze my fingers.

During this walk I spotted a number of cormorants - mainly standing on posts and sometimes extending their wings in order to dry them.

Below are three cormorants and a gull standing on the posts near the bridge that divides the Serpentine in Hyde Park from the Long Water in Kensington Gardens.



After I took the preceding photograph, the cormorant nearest to me held out its wings so that it could be photographed again.


There is a long row of posts in this spot of the lake and cormorants and black-headed gulls were occupying the tops of most of them.


Just further around the lake, there is a place where the end of the Long Water can be viewed.  Here, in the foreground, there are four cormorants standing on the fallen branch in the water.  In the distance are the wall, fountain and urns at the end of the Italian Garden with a red London bus posing nicely in the arch formed by the tree in the foreground.  It was very good of it to stop there for me!


On the other side of the Serpentine, near the little island, there are some more posts and these were occupied by some more cormorants and one heron.


In the below photograph, the cormorant is showing its lovely wings to the heron, but the heron is not the least bit interested!


In fact, there were four cormorants on the posts - with three is wing-drying mode.  The heron still does not look at all interested in them.


I did take photographs of other birds while I was in the park, but don't have time to write about them now and will probably now have to leave it until after Christmas when I am back at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment