Friday 7 October 2016

Two Leucistic Greylag Geese

In July I took my camera for a walk in the park.  I love wandering round the lake and seeing if I can spot any unusual water birds.  This time I came across a couple of Greylag geese with leucism - where there is a loss of colour in the feathers, which go white.  One of the geese was almost completely white, with just small patches of brown, and the other white and brown.

I read on the internet that leucism is a condition where there is a partial loss of pigmentation in an animal, resulting in white, pale or patching colouration of the skin, hair, feathers, scales or cuticle, but not the eyes.  Unlike albinism (where the eyes are pink), it is caused by a reduction in multiple types of pigment and not just melanin.

The first Greylag that I came across with this condition was on the path, mingling with lots of Canada geese who were being fed unsuitable food by some tourists.  It was not getting much of a look-in, with most of the bread going to the other geese.


 It eventually gave up and went for a swim in the lake.


In this photo, the leucistic Greylag is in the centre of the photograph, with two Canada geese in the background.  In the foregroud is another strange-looking goose, which I believe may be a cross between a Bar-Headed goose and a Canada goose.


The leucistic Greylag is now back on land and looking for food from the tourists again.


The next Greylag with leucism that I saw was swimming along with a normal Greylag companion.  This time the goose is more patchy with a mix of white and brown feathers.


I think that it looks attractive with its brown head and patchy brown feathers on its back and sides.



I have to say that seeing the two leucistic Greylag geese and the Bar-Headed/Canada goose hybrid made it a more interesting walk in the park that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment