Thursday 27 October 2016

Captive and wild birds in the Barnes Wetland Centre

I have been to the Barnes Wetland Centre (London Wetland Centre) several times over the last few years and always have an amazing and very interesting time there.  There are several large lagoons with bird hides, but often the birds on the water are much too far away and can only be clearly seen with very strong binoculars.  They are impossible to photograph unless you are wealthy enough to own a very large camera with a strong zoom lens.  Mine is only relatively tiny, so I have to resign myself to taking photographs of the reserve's captive birds.

The photographs below were taken during one of my walks round the reserve in March 2016 - I have taken so many photographs over the last couple of years and just not had time to write about them straight away.  I just don't know where my time goes, but it definitely runs away very fast!

These are some Black-Bellied Whistling ducks in preening mode.




These are Fulvous Whistling ducks in swimming mode.



These are 2 Southern Screamers in resting mode


and standing mode


The birds in the photograph below were on the wild side of the Wetland Centre and were swimming around in separate small ponds on the site.

Here is a Tufted drake


and his partner, a Tufted duck


 This is a mummy Tufted duck with 4 Tufted ducklings


 I presume this is a Mallard duckling that appears to be looking for bugs on the reeds.


Captive or wild, the birds at the Centre are amazing and I often find it hard to drag myself out of the place in order to go back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment