Tuesday 28 November 2023

First October visit to see the wildlife on Brownsea Island during my week long stay in Poole

I stayed in Poole for a week at the beginning of October and below is a selection of the wildlife that I saw during my first visit of the week to Brownsea Island.

Redshank wading through the shallow water of the lagoon 
   

Avocets in flight

Close-up of an Avocet that was wading just in front of the bird hide

A new bird hide is being built at the edge of the lagoon and closer to the visitor centre

Windblown Peacock

Peahen and two Peachicks wandered across the grass

Very distant Treecreeper on the side of a tree that was on the opposite side of the lily pond to where I was standing

Grey Wagtail in the lily pond

Nuthatch in vegetation near the lily pond in the middle of the island

The only sighting during the day of a Red Squirrel - behind bars!!

A row of Spoonbills in the distance

A row of Oystercatchers in the distance

Yet more Spoonbills in the distance at the edge of the lagoon

Curious Pied Wagtail

Greenshank with a snack

Greenshank on walk-about

Peacock, Peahen and Peachicks on path near the church

Peachick getting ready to jump off the wall

and it jumped!

Peacock just leaving after the church service!

Peacock relaxing in the sunshine

Little Egret fishing from a chain near the landing stage

I had a great time on Brownsea Island - arriving on the first ferry, 10.00, from Poole and leaving on the last ferry at 17.00.  This was the first of my visits to the island during my stay in Poole.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment