Saturday 16 June 2018

No cygnets for the black swans in St. James's Park

Towards the end of May my camera took me off for another walk in St. James's Park with the main aim of seeing if the pair of black swans that had a nest on the island in the centre of the lake had produced any offspring.  I saw that a mute swan was acting aggressively a little further along the island from where the black swan's nest was located.  I then realised that a black swan was skulking in the bushes after being chased by the mute swan.  It can just be seen in this photograph.

I then realised that there were three black swans hiding on the island.  There was one on the left-hand side of the tall tree covered with white flowers.

and there were two hiding under the right-hand side of the tree.

I then realised that these two black swans were the couple that had built the nest on the island - and they did not have any cygnets!  Shame.  Perhaps they will try again next year.


They stood at the edge of the island for a while and then came over to see if they could get some food from the people standing at the edge of the lake.

They still looked very loved-up.  Here they were doing some synchronised swimming near the overhanging willow tree.

They were still synchronised while swimming near a group of mallards and shelducks.

I will be watching out for them again next year and keeping my fingers crossed that they will then become proud parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment