Thursday 30 November 2017

Still 8 black swans in St. James's Park, London

A week after my last visit to St. James's Park, on 24th November I returned to check out the 8 black swans - the 3 original residents of the park and the 5 newcomers that had flown in from Hyde Park.

At the Trafalgar Square end of the park and, near the rocks where the park's pelicans hang out, I saw a pair of the park's original black swans.  Here they are the bread on either side of a greylag goose filling, though one of them is rather inconveniently showing it's backside.  The trees in the park have now gone into winter mode, so that there are millions of leaves on the paths and, indeed, everywhere in the park.  By the way, there is a cormorant sitting up on the tree branches on the right-hand side of the photograph below.


As I walked along the path by the lake, I saw the park's black swan that is always hanging around on it's own.  This time it was with a white mute swan - friend or foe, I do not know!  Both were fishing around in the water for food.


Then at the Buckingham Palace end of the lake, I saw the five newcomers.  They certainly have chosen the up-market end of the park to make their home!  The two black swans on the bank seem to have formed a romantic relationship as I saw them earlier on doing synchronised bobbing of heads, etc.  The other three were practising their synchronised swimming line-up!


I am now fairly obsessed by these swans and hope to post more photos of them, and other wildlife, at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment